Biologic Bootcamp Regional NP/PA CME Programs
The Dermatology Education Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, will be conducting regional CME events to provide NPs and PAs with in-depth disease specific training courses. These courses will focus on the pathophysiology, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of psoriasis, atopic dermatitis (AD), and psoriatic arthritis (PsA). Immunology as well as existing and emerging therapies will be presented through lectures, panel discussions, and discussion sessions lead by thought leaders.
Support for an Identified Unmet Need
There is currently no major educational initiative designed to teach the safety, efficacy and practical use of the biologic therapies in dermatology! In a recent Google search of ‘biologic use in dermatology for NPs and PAs,’ the number one hit was the DEF website www.dermnppa.org and recent related videos we posted! At the DEF, we are dedicated to providing professional and educational resources for dermatology NPs and PAs!
- Describe recent advances in biologic drug development, regulations, and indications in immune-mediated inflammatory diseases (IMIDs), with emphasis on psoriasis, PsA and AD.
- Critically appraise and discuss relevant evidence on pathophysiology and immunology as applied to psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and atopic dermatitis.
- Analyze recent investigations on safety, efficacy, and toxicity of biologic agents across IMIDs.
- Through case-based presentation and discussion panels, summarize updates in diagnosis, classification, therapies, and immune-system targets in psoriasis, PsA, and AD and describe their clinical implications.
- Develop strategies to predict, prevent, and treat potential side effects and complications encountered with biologic agents.
- Review data regarding associated comorbid conditions associated with psoriasis, PsA, and AD including but not limited to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and depression.
CME Accreditation and Outcomes Measurement
The DEF Biologic Bootcamp Regional Program will be approved for AMA PRA Category I credit through joint sponsorship of the DEF and Postgraduate Institute for Medicine. Each program is estimated to be 7-8 hours of CME/CE credits with a total of 24.0 hours for the Series. Surveys will be utilized and collated pre-meeting, onsite, and post-meeting. During the registration process and prior to the Bootcamp, a survey will be conducted. Audience response system monitoring will be conducted onsite and follow-up electronic surveys will be conducted post-meeting to assess the learning objectives and other key measurements.
Timing and Target Audience
Approximately 100 healthcare professionals, targeted to be dermatology nurse practitioners and physician assistants are expected to attend each DEF Biologic Bootcamp. These are one-day meetings to be held in a local hotel venue in three major cities estimated to be Dallas, Texas, Los Angeles, California and Atlanta, Georgia.
The DEF Biologic Bootcamp Regional NP/PA CME Program will kick off in summer 2018.
Biologic Bootcamp Faculty
The nationally known thought leadership who will present and participate in discussion panels throughout the Bootcamps includes the following psoriasis and AD experts:
April Armstrong, MD, MPH, FAAD
Associate Dean for Clinical Research
Director of Clinical Research, Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute (SC CTSI); Vice Chair;
Director, Clinical Trials and Outcomes Research; Director, Psoriasis Program
Department of Dermatology
Keck School of Medicine
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA
Kara Gooding, MMS, PA-C
Center for Dermatology and Plastic Surgery
Jayme Heim, MSN, APRN-BC, FNP
The Psoriasis and Eczema Treatment Center
Grand Rapids, MI
Joseph Gorelick, MSN, FNP-C
Founder, Dermatology Education Foundation
California Skin Institute
San Jose-Los Gatos, CA
Wendy Cantrell, CRNP, DNP
Doctor of Nursing Practice specializing in Dermatology
Assistant Professor of Dermatology
University of Alabama
Kristine Kucera, PA-C, MPAS
Assistant Clinical Professor
University of Texas Southwestern
Medical Center PA Program